Mozilla Firefox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
472 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   SydneySider #1

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

Ok so I made the switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. Only problem is, when I close the window for certain websites (such as Media Spy) and come back again, I have to re-login again.

OFFLINE   Woz #2

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:06 PM

Congratulations SydneySider! Great to see you've made the switch! biggrin.gif

Sounds like you are having problems with the cookies being set by Media Spy. Goto Tools>Options and then click the privacy tab. Then open up the cookies section and make sure 'Allow sites to set cookies' is ticked and 'Keep cookies' is set to 'Until they expire'.

Should fix your problem. wink.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   SydneySider #3

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (woz_331 @ Nov 29 2005, 08:06 PM)
Congratulations SydneySider! Great to see you've made the switch! biggrin.gif

Sounds like you are having problems with the cookies being set by Media Spy. Goto Tools>Options and then click the privacy tab. Then open up the cookies section and make sure 'Allow sites to set cookies' is ticked and 'Keep cookies' is set to 'Until they expire'.

Should fix your problem. wink.gif

It was already set how you said yes.gif

OFFLINE   Woz #4

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Nov 29 2005, 08:15 PM)
It was already set how you said  yes.gif
eyebrow.gif
Errr well that's odd. Sorry, but I can't think what else it might be. frown.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #5

• 5,523 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:10 PM

Might seem like a silly suggestion, but have you got Media Spy set to remember you each time you return, with that checkbox when you login?

OFFLINE   SydneySider #6

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Commander Slicer @ Nov 29 2005, 09:10 PM)
Might seem like a silly suggestion, but have you got Media Spy set to remember you each time you return, with that checkbox when you login?

yes.gif

OFFLINE   mcp #7

• 1,891 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Nov 29 2005, 06:57 PM)
Ok so I made the switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. Only problem is, when I close the window for certain websites (such as Media Spy) and come back again, I have to re-login again.

welcome to the team!

i havent seen that problem before... interesting

OFFLINE   K #8

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

I think I have read of a similar thing happening although it was after someone had stayed logged in for sometime time (ie. login was remembered0 and then the board stopped remembering the logon.

I think the solution was to click the "Delete cookies set by this board" link at the bottom of the main page.

It of course wouldn't make sense when you start using a different browser.

OFFLINE   Woz #9

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure about this, but I think that MS remembers my IP. As I switch between computers on my network, the site remembers which threads I have and haven't read so kenneth's suggestion might be valid. The site may be viewing based on IP or something like that.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   K #10

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:05 PM

Yes, the forum software does remember the IP address for moderation purposes (not sure what the cookies contain). Of course, changing browsers won't make a difference as you are creating a new session when you login on the different browser.

Also, with dynamic IP addresses, if it was the IP address causing the problem, then most people would have a problem when their IP address change.

OFFLINE   Moe #11

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:00 PM

That happens to me occasionally, but sometimes i can go days without loging in again, but sometimes it just forgets that I logged in.
BTW Firefox 1.5 is out now http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

OFFLINE   SydneySider #12

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

What are the benefits of using Mozilla over IE...because all it's been doing is giving me grief scared.gif It still won't remember my login details for this site.

Edited by SydneySider, 02 December 2005 - 10:03 AM.

OFFLINE   Woz #13

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Dec 2 2005, 11:03 AM)
What are the benefits of using Mozilla over IE...because all it's been doing  is giving me grief  scared.gif  It still won't remember my login details for this site.
Basically it's faster and more secure. Also, far more customizable than Intenet Explorer.

The extensions you can get for FF make it well worth it. Adblock is a standout. yes.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   modecko #14

• 3,090 posts since
  • November 2002

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

Flashgot is worth is weight in gold and tabbed browsing, especially with the add-ins for that, make the whole web thing much nicer. I believe the next iteration of IE will have tabbed browsing and ad blocking, only 3 years behind Firefox and 5 beind Netscape.

I have no problems with the login but have had some in the past. I think it could have something to do with firewalls.

You could type About:Config in the address bar and see if there is a setting in that long list that might be affecting your ability to log on.
All content is from the author's twisted mind and does reflect his bent personality. He is seeking professional help.

OFFLINE   Commander Slicer #15

• 5,523 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (SydneySider @ Dec 2 2005, 10:03 AM)
What are the benefits of using Mozilla over IE...because all it's been doing  is giving me grief  scared.gif  It still won't remember my login details for this site.

Faster and much much more secure. Using IE these days is like playing Russian Roulette with all the spyware and adware, especially crap like coolwebsearch or whatever it is.

But aside from security, the tabbed browsing features plus the fact that you can give the big finger to Microsoft is more than enough reason to use it. As for your login issue, I think Modecko may be onto something, I'd check your firewall settings (if you're using one that is) and make sure you've got it set to allow Firefox proper and unhindered access to the Internet.

OFFLINE   SydneySider #16

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

I tried looking in the list after typing About:Config but couldn't see anything.

I have a firewall through Norton Internet Security but its set to allow anything Firefox does...I even turned the whole firewall off and it still wouldn't remember my login details.

It remembers the login details for however long I have the window open for. Once I close the window and get back in, I have to log in again to Media Spy.

OFFLINE   leedham #17

• 1,061 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

Could it possibly be when you first logged in to MSpy with FF that you said "Never remember my details" or whatever it comes up with when you first log into a site?

OFFLINE   SydneySider #18

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (leedham @ Dec 2 2005, 04:27 PM)
Could it possibly be when you first logged in to MSpy with FF that you said "Never remember my details" or whatever it comes up with when you first log into a site?

Nope that's all under control.

OFFLINE   RepoJake #19

• 1,163 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

http://downthemall.mozdev.org is a good add on for firefox.

allows you to download many images at once
I highly recomend it
Seven and Nine don't ring credibility.
Parx-e Web Zine
My MySpace Page

OFFLINE   Andy B #20

• 3,272 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:56 AM

I love the new version, they've sorted out the little annoyance with not being able to move the tabs around and stuff. cheerful.gif