Yahoo!7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
223 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   routemarker #81

• 5,353 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Mr Q @ Jan 30 2006, 12:32 PM)
Personally, I'm going to be far less inclined to use Yahoo! Australia now - they've weakened their brand, for no apparent reason, and seem to be moving away from the very simple, standard, reliable design of the main Yahoo! site. That's disappointing, I think.

Heaps better than ninemsn though. The layout of the yahoo7 site is great, all I used it for was the TV guide and its right there along with a list of yahoo services, links above for other yahoo services (like mail) are still prominent and are in the same position so I don't see any weakening of the brand at all.

Edited by routemarker, 31 January 2006 - 08:54 PM.

You're going nowhere fast, like a moose without legs; tied to a truck with no petrol!

OFFLINE   Shankill #82

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (routemarker @ Jan 31 2006, 09:54 PM)
Heaps better than ninemsn though. The layout of the yahoo7 site is great, all I used it for was the TV guide and its right there along with a list of yahoo services, links above for other yahoo services (like mail) are still prominent and are in the same position so I don't see any weakening of the brand at all.

I agree - nineMSN is just too cluttered for me. The colours, the different images and the backgrounds (image backgrounds) just sort of crowd around me - maybe it's just me, though.

Yahoo!7 is terrific, though - it even has a full free-to-air TV guide (Yahoo bit). The whole layout and white/silver colour scheme is absolutely brilliant. Hell, I'll be going to Yahoo!7 a whole lot more than I would when it was just Yahoo. Good move, Seven.

OFFLINE   ash #83

• 587 posts since
  • March 2003

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:01 AM

Funny, on the Seven homepage. Under Shopping, it has 7 Sport Store, but not the 7 Store.
user posted image

OFFLINE   Valkyrie #84

• 2,394 posts since
  • March 2005

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

Home on Yahoo7
The Sydney Morning Herald
4 February 2006

Yahoo and Seven Network have joined forces to compete with other major online sites. Yahoo7 ( www.yahoo7.com.au ) offers a range of features including web-based email, instant messaging, shopping guides, a search engine and directory from Yahoo, as well as news, sport and finance from Seven. The online homes of TV shows such as Today Tonight, Home and Away and Desperate Housewives can also be accessed via the site. Yahoo7 widgets deliver more program information, including a TV guide, straight to the desktop. Current My Yahoo members have been transferred across to the new home page. The alliance appears similar to Microsoft and Nine's ninemsn (www.ninemsn.com.au ).

OFFLINE   Shankill #85

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

I notice that they fixed up the yahoo7.com.au link - before, if you didn't type in the www, it redirected you to the promo (as it did before the website was launched). It works properly now.

OFFLINE   Mawk #86

• 4,829 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

Great move for more promotion on yahoo7. Now hosting the official australia FIFA world cup socceroos website

QUOTE (sevencorporate.com.au)
Yahoo!7 has been chosen as the host of the official Socceroos 2006 FIFA World Cup
website ahead of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germanyâ„¢. This nets another rich content goal for the newly
formed Yahoo!7, who are also an official sponsor of the FIFA World Cupâ„¢ globally.

www.yahoo7.com.au/football
[b]Love you Queensland!
Mawk @ MediaSpy
Your regular video contributor from Brisbane

OFFLINE   Shankill #87

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Mawk @ May 7 2006, 03:08 PM)
Great move for more promotion on yahoo7. Now hosting the official australia FIFA world cup socceroos website

QUOTE (sevencorporate.com.au)
Yahoo!7 has been chosen as the host of the official Socceroos 2006 FIFA World Cup
website ahead of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germanyâ„¢. This nets another rich content goal for the newly
formed Yahoo!7, who are also an official sponsor of the FIFA World Cupâ„¢ globally.

www.yahoo7.com.au/football

Thanks for that, Mawk. It looks quite good.

OFFLINE   Mike #88

• 18,391 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Cyvros @ Feb 1 2006, 07:26 AM)
I agree - nineMSN is just too cluttered for me. The colours, the different images and the backgrounds (image backgrounds) just sort of crowd around me - maybe it's just me, though.

Yahoo!7 is terrific, though - it even has a full free-to-air TV guide (Yahoo bit). The whole layout and white/silver colour scheme is absolutely brilliant. Hell, I'll be going to Yahoo!7 a whole lot more than I would when it was just Yahoo. Good move, Seven.

+NineMSN Dosen't work well on browsers other than IE ... Wonder why MSN wink.gif

OFFLINE   regionaltv #89

• 3,844 posts since
  • June 2005

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

They have finally made a new 7News website...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/

Now all they need is a new Sunrise, TT and 7Sport website.

OFFLINE   Shankill #90

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (mikelive @ May 9 2006, 03:35 AM)
+NineMSN Dosen't work well on browsers other than IE ... Wonder why MSN wink.gif

IE hasn't worked for me since about last November and I was using FF before that. I've never had any real problems with NineMSN with FF, except with the Logies website, which didn't display properly.

QUOTE (regionaltv @ May 14 2006, 07:25 PM)
They have finally made a new 7News website...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/

Now all they need is a new Sunrise, TT and 7Sport website.

It looks better, although I hate how it's designed for 1024x768. It's somewhat arrogant in their assumption that everyone has 1024x768 - it also shows that it would be too cluttered if done for 800x600, which is never a good sign. I don't see the point of the left sidebar as the weather could be moved to the right one and free up some space for the actual content.

I really don't care about TT, so I won't comment on their site. I don't mind the Sunrise website as it is - I think it's better-designed than the Sunrise Family website in some respects. I like 7sport's website, although if they tweaked it so that it looks a bit more like the new 7news website, it'd work better.

I just love how they changed it from "News & Public Affairs" to just "News & Info" - doesn't tie them down to anything. biggrin.gif

But, all in all, it's a good revamp.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #91

• 18,458 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

OK....this is basically the Seven news site...with ABC content included... eyepopping.gif

I thought that sort of stuff would disappear with the deal between Seven and Yahoo...
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Shankill #92

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ May 14 2006, 09:09 PM)
OK....this is basically the Seven news site...with ABC content included... eyepopping.gif

I thought that sort of stuff would disappear with the deal between Seven and Yahoo...

Note how they've done it, though. The separate sections - 7news, AAP, ABC and National. In many ways, it's still the Yahoo News website.

OFFLINE   Big Dan #93

• 18,458 posts since
  • July 2003

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Cyvros @ May 14 2006, 10:23 PM)
Note how they've done it, though. The separate sections - 7news, AAP, ABC and National. In many ways, it's still the Yahoo News website.

I know that, but surely they would've voided any agreement with the ABC when the Yahoo-7 deal came into place. It would be akin to having Nine carry Ten news content on NineMSN. Know what I'm saying? wink.gif
Wake up and smell the maple nut crunch!
Follow me on Twitter at @bigdan1985

OFFLINE   Shankill #94

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Big_Dan @ May 14 2006, 09:30 PM)
I know that, but surely they would've voided any agreement with the ABC when the Yahoo-7 deal came into place. It would be akin to having Nine carry Ten news content on NineMSN. Know what I'm saying?  wink.gif

Yes, but I think maybe one reason that it's possible is that the ABC is non-commercial and less of a competitor. Maybe I'm just rambling on. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Ten's stuff on NineMSN. silly.gif

OFFLINE   bigfella #95

• 1,301 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I can't play any of the news videos on the site. Anybody else have that problem?
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening.

DON'T LET THE ABC DIE

OFFLINE   Shankill #96

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (bigfella @ May 15 2006, 05:13 PM)
I can't play any of the news videos on the site. Anybody else have that problem?

Nope. I just tried it and it worked fine. Are you using IE or FF?

OFFLINE   bigfella #97

• 1,301 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Cyvros @ May 15 2006, 08:19 PM)
Nope. I just tried it and it worked fine. Are you using IE or FF?

Well it's working fine now, but this afternoon I couldn't get any of them to play. I'm using IE.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening.

DON'T LET THE ABC DIE

OFFLINE   Shankill #98

• 5,117 posts since
  • October 2005

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (bigfella @ May 15 2006, 08:39 PM)
Well it's working fine now, but this afternoon I couldn't get any of them to play. I'm using IE.

Okay. Maybe it was just something this afternoon, then. biggrin.gif

OFFLINE   Splashmo #99

• 11,390 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Networks take rivalry online
Jane Schulze
MAY 25, 2006 

BENEATH the surface of the daily television ratings battle, the Seven and Nine networks are locked in an equally fierce stoush for online supremacy.

Since the Seven Network teamed up with global search engine Yahoo! in December last year, a large transformation has occurred in the online scene.
Ninemsn, the venture between Nine's parent Publishing and Broadcasting Limited and Microsoft, was the first partnership between a TV network and a technology group. Seven tried to replicate the model with AOL, but that failed and it finally returned to the market with the Yahoo! deal.

Although Google is the biggest threat to Ninemsn and Yahoo!7, Nine and Seven are the only two TV companies in Australia to have teamed up with search engines to create large internet portals. As soon as Seven teamed up with Yahoo!, it returned from the internet wilderness to become the country's fourth most popular site, behind Google, Microsoft and Ninemsn. The Nielsen//

NetRatings Netview report for April 2006 showed that Ninemsn had a unique audience of 7.7million users while Yahoo!7 had 5.1million. And as the competition heats up, they're both searching for new chief executives.

Online media buying group NetX's chairman Craig Wilson says Ninemsn must now do more to maintain its lead over Yahoo!7: "They had a window of competitive inactivity but the competition has changed and Nine need to get more aggressive to stay where they are."

Beyond Interactive's digital manager Andrea Rule believes Ninemsn has the best offering for advertisers with related companies such as Nine Pixels, which creates online ads, and Platform Nine, a service offering online video ads on non-Ninemsn sites. "Now that Yahoo! and Seven have merged, they have the opportunity to do these things and they have got the content, which is probably the most important thing," she said.

If content is one battle front, the other is technology. Last month Yahoo! signed a deal with Nokia to embed Yahoo!'s messaging, search and browsing features in future Nokia phones.

But Ninemsn is also evolving and is expected to launch a new version of Microsoft's online advertising system adCenter this year. It also recently set up a new video-on-demand service, Catch-Up TV, which offers downloads of Nine's shows for $1.95 an episode.

Yahoo!7 has also been delivering short video clips of programs such as Lost and intends to expand the service.

Wilson believes one of Ninemsn's strengths is its content, as highlighted by James Packer this week when he revealed Ninemsn registered a record number of video downloads on the day the Beaconsfield miners were rescued.

"What Ninemsn has done better than Seven online is definitely news," he said.

But Yahoo!7 is planning to strengthen its online news service with more video from Channel 7, the ABC and Reuters, combined with "citizen journalism", where consumers file news updates.

And which site has been best at integrating TV shows with the internet? Wilson throws up a surprising choice: Channel 10. "I think Ten, through those event-type programs like Big Brother and Idol, has been able to [almost totally integrate] the internet and TV," he said.

Source

OFFLINE   slj #100

• 2,270 posts since
  • July 2004

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

Yahoo! Go Mobile Launches with Nokia
New service seamlessly integrates the Internet into the mobile phone experience

Sydney, 6th June, 2006 – Yahoo!7 is this week launching Yahoo! Go Mobile, a new service that lets consumers access their favourite Internet content and services, such as Yahoo!’s e-mail and instant messaging, on selected Nokia mobile phones.

The service has launched in Australia today and downloads of the service are available for a wide range of Nokia handsets including the Nokia N70, 6600, 6680, 6630, 6670 and 7610. Today consumers can download the Yahoo! Go Mobile application directly onto these devices from go.yahoo7.com.au

Yahoo! Go Mobile integrates the company’s popular communications services with the phone’s built-in e-mail, messaging, address book and calendar applications, giving consumers one reliable source for their most vital information. For example, if a user loses their mobile phone, their contact information is still available on the web and is easily synched to a new mobile phone.

This new service is the first time Yahoo!7 has brought a comprehensive set of Yahoo!’s
industry-leading products and full access to services across the Web into a single mobile application.

Key features of the service include:
• Yahoo! Messenger –
• Send and receive messages, including voice clips, emoticons and audibles; a first for a mobile device
• Set presence information to show your friends and family when you are available to chat and view presence information so you know when your friends and family are online too
• Take and send pictures in an active conversation via camera phone integration
• Yahoo! Mail –
• Easily manage messages through the phone’s messaging inbox
• Receive real-time notification of new e-mails
• Store new messages locally on the device to allow for offline access
• Yahoo! Photos –
• Automatically upload photos from the phone to a Yahoo! Photos account
• View and manage all albums saved in Yahoo! Photos
• Easily download photos from albums directly to the mobile device Yahoo! Address Book –
• Enter and manage contact details in a single connected address book that merges Yahoo! and phone address books to help prevent loss of contact information
• Access, edit or delete existing contacts or create new contacts
• Yahoo! Calendar –
• Manage events through a single connected calendar which merges the Yahoo! and phone built-in calendar and to-do lists
• View, edit or change existing events or add new appointments
• Yahoo! Search, Weather and Finance–
• Access the latest news, weather, stock tickers, financial updates and more through a direct connection to Yahoo!’s Mobile Portal
• Use Yahoo!’s leading Web, Image and Local search services

The launch of this service is also the first time Yahoo!7 has offered the ability to register for a new Yahoo! ID directly from a mobile device. Consumers will be able to access the service through the Yahoo! Go Mobile icon on their mobile phone
Gregan McMahon, head of mobile at Yahoo!7, said: “Yahoo! Go Mobile is a revolutionary step forward in giving consumers the seamless Internet experience they are emanding. Yahoo! Go Mobile allows our loyal users to easily take their favourite Yahoo! services with them on their mobile device.”

“Yahoo!7 has taken advantage of an opportunity to work closely with Nokia and create this mobile service. We have listened to our users and are excited to give them what they want – a single way to connect them to their information and content while they are on the go,” added McMahon.

Mike Addison, Head of Multimedia, Nokia Australia said: “The Internet has revolutionised the availability of information and now that world of information is available on mobile devices. We are thrilled to see Yahoo!7 taking full advantage of the capabilities of Nokia devices. Together, we are freeing people from their desktops by enabling the use of their favourite Internet communications services – whenever and wherever.”

Yahoo!7 is focused on extending key consumer services beyond the browser, providing an integrated Web-to-Mobile experience and helping consumers make the most of their mobile phones. Yahoo! Inc launched its first mobile service in 1999 and continues to improve and innovate on its offerings for mobile consumers and work closely with the major mobile carriers and device manufactures to deliver these services to the widest possible audience.

Seven Corp