Media Watch

• Please log in to reply
992 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Mike #861

• 18,251 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

They played the scene when Bill was reading the message sent by the "producer" during Ten's Delhi 2010 coverage. I thought they might show it :rotfl:.

Yeah, clearly a set up and fake anger but still funny.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #862

• 19,924 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, clearly a set up and fake anger but still funny.

And here we had people banging on about how professional Ten's coverage was.

OFFLINE   Mike #863

• 18,251 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

And here we had people banging on about how professional Ten's coverage was.

I didn't watch a minute of it, only that clip :P

OFFLINE   Tranquility #864

• 7,125 posts since
  • May 2003

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

The Chile stuff was a waste of time - hardly any of it was directly relevant to Australian media and I didn't understand what exactly the beef was.
Tranquility | Forum Moderator and The Spy Report Editor
Media Spy | [email protected] | mediaspy.org

OFFLINE   newtaste #865

• News Contributor

• 4,826 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

Good story tonight on MediaHub and the stuff ups on the ABC's channels, WIN Canberra and Nine Adelaide. An anon insider from Prime Canberra where Morpheus is also installed reckons the system is not suitable for prime time television.

OFFLINE   Greatfox #866

• 190 posts since
  • April 2010

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

Yes I noted this week's episode was a particuarly scathing one towards MediaHub

OFFLINE   mal #867

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

If prime are running it, why is there org still crap, they shown adelade nine prg looks as good as gtv etc

Sorry way off topic here

OFFLINE   MATTB #868

• 3,006 posts since
  • May 2009

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

If prime are running it, why is there org still crap, they shown adelade nine prg looks as good as gtv etc

Sorry way off topic here

The 7two on Prime PRG is shocking. reminds me something from WIN back in 2000
Matt.B

OFFLINE   lexington #869

• 1,351 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

ORG? You mean the after break super? (or Program Return Graphic)

That has got nothing to do with what automation software is being used, that is a style guide choice made by the graphic designers of the chosen look.

back on topic: MediaHub should've gone with the most reliable automation software out there (albeit, a little dated) Louth...

Edited by lexington, 02 November 2010 - 05:54 PM.

OFFLINE   mal #870

• 1,222 posts since
  • March 2006

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Sorry, iPhone must have in it's wisdom changed PRG to ORG.

Fair enough, I was just wondering if it's all tied together in the playout but like you said the two are very separate.

OFFLINE   lexington #871

• 1,351 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Fair enough, I was just wondering if it's all tied together in the playout but like you said the two are very separate.

Well, their not totally seperate ... the automation does "trigger" the graphics software to start the animation (in MediaHub's case, they dont believe in graphics software, requiring the client to provide ALL supers ... so the automation triggers a video file to play, which it "keys" over the vision -- adds the transparency)

OFFLINE   Smacca #872

• Forum Moderator

• 3,266 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

Well, their not totally seperate ... the automation does "trigger" the graphics software to start the animation (in MediaHub's case, they dont believe in graphics software, requiring the client to provide ALL supers ... so the automation triggers a video file to play, which it "keys" over the vision -- adds the transparency)

Cool. So does that mean there are thousands of super video files for all the different programs they air? Or would there be like one master copy for the animation and background, and another containing just text and the classies?

ONLINE   ADstv #873

• 1,522 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

It would be rendered in VizRT and output to the automation system as far as I know. Not sure if they do it before hand and just load the files in or it's done on the fly. I've seen the case where Program supers have popped up with the wrong show title.
[ads]tv 5 YEARS ... 2007-2012

OFFLINE   lexington #874

• 1,351 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

Cool. So does that mean there are thousands of super video files for all the different programs they air? Or would there be like one master copy for the animation and background, and another containing just text and the classies?

It would be rendered in VizRT and output to the automation system as far as I know. Not sure if they do it before hand and just load the files in or it's done on the fly. I've seen the case where Program supers have popped up with the wrong show title.

Well, in a normal presentation suite ... there would a template that an app on the Viz adjusts to create what is required. Some stations save those variations of the template, others (like TCN) keep altering the supers to what is required...

AFAIK MediaHub just has a shit load of super files...

OFFLINE   Johnson28 #875

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 10,290 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Media Watch returns on Monday February 7 at 9.15pm. It marks the return of Jonathan Holmes after his extended leave during the second half of 2009.
TV Tonight

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #876

• 19,924 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

I find it very hypocritical of Holmes to criticise reporters from the commercial networks for broadcasting in 'dangerious' conditions during the Yasi cyclone coverage but then chastise the ABC for not allowing its reporters out on the field until the official all clear was given.

OFFLINE   Hair Lip #877

• 112 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

I find it very hypocritical of Holmes to criticise reporters from the commercial networks for broadcasting in 'dangerious' conditions during the Yasi cyclone coverage but then chastise the ABC for not allowing its reporters out on the field until the official all clear was given.

Yeah, having just watched it on iView, I completely agree. Attacking the commercials (Seven in particular) for having reporters outside, and then attacking the ABC for not having reporters outside, is plain silly.

And speaking of silly, what was with the focus on flood/cyclone coverage? Surely, in 4 months of being off-air, they could have found something more interesting, or meaningful to talk about? Although I did laugh at the footage of Peter Doherty, the entire show did nothing more than nitpick at a handful of minor, irrelevant issues.

The nitpicking happens quite often, I know, but I'm not sure the flood/cyclone coverage was the right focus of MW's attention.

OFFLINE   Firetorch #878

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, having just watched it on iView, I completely agree. Attacking the commercials (Seven in particular) for having reporters outside, and then attacking the ABC for not having reporters outside, is plain silly.

I don't see how it was silly, he clearly highlighted the need for 'balance' in situations like that, it was obvious that Seven went too far.

The nitpicking happens quite often, I know, but I'm not sure the flood/cyclone coverage was the right focus of MW's attention.

I think it was considering it was the dominant focus of the media for much of the summer.

OFFLINE   shire_lsnr #879

• 248 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

The thing about idiot reporters dumbing it down and wading into flood waters has been going on for years. Stuart pointed it out in the 1993 episode available for viewing on the MW 20th page during the Victorian floods of that year.

OFFLINE   jimbo #880

• 7,516 posts since
  • December 2007

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hopefully next week's show is set aside for giving Mark Riley a kick up the a** :tongue: