Media Watch

• Please log in to reply
1000 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   NewsKing #881

• Formerly Kimberb

• 6,712 posts since
  • September 2007

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thank god we just had Jonathon Holmes addressing the state of news in Australia. A sad reflection that people prefer the tripe on 7 and 9 over 10s new bolder and better project.

Simple quote: 'Viewers turn over, before it is to late'.

OFFLINE   The Sportsman #882

• 125 posts since
  • November 2009

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thank god we just had Jonathon Holmes addressing the state of news in Australia. A sad reflection that people prefer the tripe on 7 and 9 over 10s new bolder and better project.

Simple quote: 'Viewers turn over, before it is to late'.

Forget the plug for Ch10. It's a new project but it's not better. It's still garbage with (excepting Hugh R) crap reporters on the local scene, but Seven deserved every attack tonight. Commercial TV news here has been on a downward spiral for several years - and even the ABC has to watch the trend. What Mark Riley - and 7 News - did last week was absolutely indefensible and anyone working for Ch7 news should acknowledge that.

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #883

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

What Mark Riley - and 7 News - did last week was absolutely indefensible and anyone working for Ch7 news should acknowledge that.

I'll betcha they don't - they'll fall back on the "But we warned him beforehand" excuse. Nicely covers a multitude of sins - presumably, Seven also believe a rape victim shouldn't complain about being raped so long as the rapist warned her a few hours before...

OFFLINE   newtaste #884

• News Contributor

• 5,075 posts since
  • January 2007

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Seven also believe a rape victim shouldn't complain about being raped so long as the rapist warned her a few hours before...

You have got to be kidding!!

OFFLINE   kevizz #885

• 4,704 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

presumably, Seven also believe a rape victim shouldn't complain about being raped so long as the rapist warned her a few hours before...

Congratulations on forming a sentence which is both disgustingly offensive and stunningly fallacious.

OFFLINE   shire_lsnr #886

• 251 posts since
  • February 2006

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Well it's almost 2 years now since the 20th anniversary shows, and I'm still missing Stuart Littlemore from the show after all these years. In this Age article from 2 years ago Age article it says

Littlemore is pitching a new show to the ABC aimed at revealing legal process.

Any idea what happened to this pitch? I can only guess it wasn't picked up, but does anyone know more about this pilot?

OFFLINE   Dr. Keats #887

• 934 posts since
  • April 2009

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that tonight's Media Watch was simply a thinly-veiled commercial for Lindsay Tanner's new book - followed by a second bite at the cherry on Q & A...

OFFLINE   Hair Lip #888

• 112 posts since
  • August 2010

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that tonight's Media Watch was simply a thinly-veiled commercial for Lindsay Tanner's new book - followed by a second bite at the cherry on Q & A...

That was the exact same reaction I had. Philip Coorey (SMH Political Chief) was rather critical of Tanner - and his book - in the Herald on the weekend; he focused in particular the blatant hypocrisy of Tanner's stance, and Tanner's refusal to even acknowledge his part in the Rudd Government. Several others have also made similar comments.

Media Watch failed to mention any of that, adopting instead their usual 'holier-than-thou' attitude to the television media.

OFFLINE   Reuder7 #889

• 20,010 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

That was the exact same reaction I had. Philip Coorey (SMH Political Chief) was rather critical of Tanner - and his book - in the Herald on the weekend; he focused in particular the blatant hypocrisy of Tanner's stance, and Tanner's refusal to even acknowledge his part in the Rudd Government. Several others have also made similar comments.

From what I've gathered in the media, Tanner acknowledges the part politicians play in this circus but it's the media that requires it from them to get airtime.

OFFLINE   kk_kev #890

• 125 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

http://youtu.be/poM714gOrq0?t=43s

I wonder if this "police investigation" is real or a Media Watch worthy beat-up, like TVQ-10's report last winter.

OFFLINE   kk_kev #891

• 125 posts since
  • January 2011

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:31 AM

Well it's almost 2 years now since the 20th anniversary shows, and I'm still missing Stuart Littlemore from the show after all these years. In this Age article from 2 years ago Age article it says

Any idea what happened to this pitch? I can only guess it wasn't picked up, but does anyone know more about this pilot?

I wonder if this is the new "On Trial" program on ABC1?

OFFLINE   T-Mac #892

• 2,903 posts since
  • January 2005

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Good episode tonight, focusing on Nine's RWC coverage, and also a funny bit at the end mocking the ABC promo department for their poor grammar in a promo for ABC2's encore of The Slap.
"I fell for her like an autumn leaf.......if she were a pie, she would be beef."
Follow the Wallabies' European Tour this November on Ten.

OFFLINE   TV_Expert #893

• 8,278 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Good episode tonight, focusing on Nine's RWC coverage, and also a funny bit at the end mocking the ABC promo department for their poor grammar in a promo for ABC2's encore of The Slap.

Didn't watch it tonight, due to new eps of South Park being up against it, which will now be on every Mondays at 9pm on SBS One.
I'll have to watch it on iview for the rest of this year at least, which is okay with me. :)

Edited by TV_Expert, 10 October 2011 - 08:41 PM.

TV_Expert - Now clocked 1,500 posts & still counting!

OFFLINE   Firetorch #894

• 6,807 posts since
  • September 2006

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

Great report by MediaWatch on that research company. Those pathetic survey stories have become such a massive part of their newspapers.

OFFLINE   lexington #895

• 1,395 posts since
  • November 2008

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

I wonder if this "police investigation" is real or a Media Watch worthy beat-up, like TVQ-10's report last winter.

What was TVQ-10's report?

ONLINE   abesty #896

• Media Vault Coordinator

• 8,136 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Next week will be the last for 2011, finishing up early like they did last year.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #897

• 6,108 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Various caps from last nights edition of Media Watch:

Opener and (very short) Closer:

Set:

Other Graphics:

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 20 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

OFFLINE   The Sifon #898

• 5,595 posts since
  • December 2006

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

ACMA is investigating Media Watch.

http://www.tvtonight...edia-watch.html

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #899

• 6,108 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

The 15 Second Promo for tonight's edition of Media Watch which aired on ABC1 NSW before Four Corners:

If you're in WA, this is your first look before the promo (and the show) airs on TV. :)

Side note: Tonight's program sounds like a real cracker!

OFFLINE   Evo #900

• Formerly Evulant

• 5,514 posts since
  • August 2012

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Tonight's media watch was very high quality, and plain brilliant. Extremely thought out investigation into the "One Big Switch" campaign.