Al Jazeera English

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   SA TV #1

• 8,347 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Is there any chance that foxtel will add the new Al Jazeera International to it's stable of news channels when it launches in April? I would imagine that it would be a pretty good service, and it has some big names signed up.

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #2

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (SA TV @ Jan 29 2006, 04:51 PM)
Is there any chance that foxtel will add the new Al Jazeera International to it's stable of news channels when it launches in April? I would imagine that it would be a pretty good service, and it has some big names signed up.

If there's space and they think there's an audience then the answer is yes.
But the execs at Foxtel will ask, quite rightly, is there's demand for another international news channel?
I think Al-J will offer an interesting perspective... if it lives up to its mission... but at the moment its management is very "English" and I'm wondering if at the end of the day it will be all that different from what's on offer now.
They say they will.. let's wait and see.
There is of course the political angle as well. Would the Australian government welcome "Terror TV" being available? Canberra has never been as stridently anti Al-J as Washington but I imagine they'll be watching closely.
While it might not act officially to ban Al-J, if there was concern there's always pressure that can be brought to bear.

Carraige is one of Al-J's big problems at the moment, I'm led to believe, many cable operators are reluctant to commit. This may well have changed... I know one of our MS members is associated with the new channel.. he may have the latest for us.

OFFLINE   TV Head #3

• 18,616 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (SA TV @ Jan 29 2006, 07:51 PM)

I Know the regular arabic Al Jezzera is on OptusTV, it may air on there if not also on Foxtel.

OFFLINE   IntlMedia #4

• 404 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (NewsWorld @ Jan 29 2006, 01:58 PM)
Carraige is one of Al-J's big problems at the moment, I'm led to believe, many cable operators are reluctant to commit. This may well have changed... I know one of our MS members is associated with the new channel.. he may have the latest for us.

Ooohh sorry, that was my cue wasn't it!!! biggrin.gif

I can only reveal so much, but yes carriage is an issue for the channel. In the US there's political opposition, though more of a problem is that many US carriers don't see the need for another news channel (particularly an international one, which won't have much demand) and space on the platforms is already limited.

In Australia, talks with Foxtel are ongoing... but most people can probably put two and two together and see the issues AJI would have negotiating with a Murdoch-owned company, given the misconceptions about the channel.

Elsewhere in the world though, things are looking good! cheerful.gif

OFFLINE   On Air #5

• the bost mod here

• 6,050 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (IntlMedia @ Jan 31 2006, 05:45 PM)
Elsewhere in the world though, things are looking good!  cheerful.gif

New Zealand ?

OFFLINE   trompettiste #6

• 219 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

You can watch it for free on the net...i love it its reallly good! (have nfi what they r saying tho silly.gif)

OFFLINE   On Air #7

• the bost mod here

• 6,050 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (trompettiste @ Feb 7 2006, 08:02 PM)
You can watch it for free on the net...i love it its reallly good! (have nfi what they r saying tho silly.gif)

Yes, but AJI will be english language.

OFFLINE   IntlMedia #8

• 404 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Elliott @ Feb 7 2006, 09:55 AM)
New Zealand ?

Not THAT good, unfortunately! Hopefully when a deal is secured in Australia, NZ will be able to piggyback on that carrier... much in the same way Sky News Australia is received in New Zealand.

trompettiste, the english version will also be streamed live on the internet so you can look forward to that! smile.gif

And by the way, be on the look out for some more on-screen announcements from AJI in a couple of weeks time...

OFFLINE   mfahey #9

• 20 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

A transponder which is used by Foxtel to carry various SBS and ABC services on the Optus C1 satellite is currently running a Al-Jazeera International promotional video loop featuring a selection of their anchors and journalists. The promotional video is "hidden" from Foxtel receivers but can be easily received free-to-air with a regular DVB digital receiver. The transponder channel header is also "hiding" the Al-Jazeera stream, so you need to manually enter the video and audio PIDs into your receiver.

I have some screen grabs and more info at my site satdirectory.com

Don't have a suitable satellite receiver or dish? You can download a mpeg4 copy of the promo video using this link. The file is high quality (20 MB). Al Jazerra Promo via rapidshare

(Thanks Chicki for the suggesting the file host!)

Edited by mfahey, 28 March 2006 - 06:52 PM.

OFFLINE   Moe #10

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (mfahey @ Mar 28 2006, 07:06 PM)
A transponder which is used by Foxtel to carry various SBS and ABC services on the Optus C1 satellite is currently running a Al-Jazeera International promotional video loop featuring a selection of their anchors and journalists. The promotional video is "hidden" from Foxtel receivers but can be easily received free-to-air with a regular DVB digital receiver. The transponder channel header is also "hiding" the Al-Jazeera stream, so you need to manually enter the video and audio PIDs into your receiver.

I have some screen grabs and more info at my site satdirectory.com

If anyone has some spare bandwidth I can provide a mpeg 4 video of the promo for hosting so people without suitable satellite receivers and dishes can have a look. Please private mail me if you can host the .avi (20 MB). (I tried the Vault hosting service but at the moment it is not being updated / refreshed).

Just use rapidshare or something

OFFLINE   mfahey #11

• 20 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (chicki @ Mar 28 2006, 06:13 PM)

Thanks Chicki - I had'nt tried rapidshare before! (I must have been under a rock). Its uploading now. I will post the link to the file soon. Cheers, Mark.

OFFLINE   SydneySider #12

• 5,454 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (chicki @ Mar 28 2006, 07:13 PM)

A reminder that Media Spy, thanks to Smacca, has a file upload service

For details go to:

http://mediaspy.org/...unce&f=10&id=33

OFFLINE   mfahey #13

• 20 posts since
  • August 2005

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

The Al-Jazeera promo loop has now come up free-to-air on Asiasat 3 as well. Asiasat 3 is the "hot bird" for Asia with hundreds of diferent TV & radio services, so they will find some eyeballs watching them on this satellite. The signal is nice and strong right across Australia.

Interesting to see that Al Jazeera have slightly re-edited the promo loop on AS3 when compared to what has been showing on Optus C1. You will see that just like on C1 there are two versions of the promo - one with the voice over done by Riz Khan (ex CNN) and the other a female (unknown voice to me). If you are a freak like me - look closely and note that the loops on AS3 are a later(?) revision. One difference is that the version on AS3 shows Riz Khan interviewing the Deli Lama. There are a few new western journalist's faces as well.

For the last year or so I have been part of a focus group being polled on what the channel should be like. You too can join if you interested, surf over to..

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

and click on the Al-Jazeera International Audience Panel button.

Cheers,
Mark

OFFLINE   NewsWorld #14

• 4,454 posts since
  • October 2003

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

From Media Guardian:
Al-Jazeera launch faces further delays

Leigh Holmwood
Wednesday May 24, 2006

Al-Jazeera's English-language channel has suffered a further setback, with its launch delayed until September at the earliest.
The Qatar-based, 24-hour news channel was originally set to launch in April but a series of construction and technical problems at its four centres in London, Doha, Kuala Lumpur and Washington meant this was pushed back on two separate occasions to June.

But the centres are still not finished and the launch has now been delayed further to early September.

It is understood executives at the channel are becoming increasingly fed up with the slow pace of progress.

A source said: "Staff are extremely frustrated, as is the management, who are tearing their hair out at the innefficiency of support staff."

The source added that bosses at the English-language service were concerned about "meddling" from al-Jazeera's Arabic owners, who are thought to be worried the new channel could end up a "watered down version of the BBC or CNN" and a "damp squib managed by non-Muslim westerners".

The broadcaster has also found it difficult to secure distribution for the new outlet in the key American market, although it has signed up to Sky Digital in the UK.

Acknowledging the continuing start-up problems, an al-Jazeera spokeswoman said the broadcaster was not releasing an official launch date. However, she said the channel's management had a particular date towards which they were working.

"They are waiting on their technical requirements to be fulfilled," she said.

Al-Jazeera International is set to rival CNN and BBC World for English-language news audiences, particularly in its coverage of the Middle East.

The broadcaster has already signed up an impressive list of talent, including Channel Five news presenter Barbara Serra, who will join the London newsroom, and Kimberly Halkett from Canada's Global National network, who will be the weekend anchor at its Washington bureau.

Joanna Gasiorowska from ITV's Evening News and two presenters from Five News - Rahul Pathak and Andrew Richardson - are to host a weekly sports magazine programme, Sportsworld.

Al-Jazeera launched in Qatar in November 1996, bankrolled by the Emir of Qatar, but came to international prominence during the US attack on Afghanistan in 2001 when it was the only foreign broadcaster in Kabul.

It also caused controversy by screening messages from al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden as well as footage of western hostages.

During the Iraq war it was branded "terror TV" by the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfield, and the channel's Baghdad office was bombed by American forces, although it was later claimed this was an accident.

The BBC has announced plans to set up its own Arabic news channel next year, in what is being seen as a bid to diversify news coverage in the region, and has appointed former al-Jazeera executive Salah Negm as news editor.

OFFLINE   IntlMedia #15

• 404 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Right...

The launch of Al Jazeera International is imminent....... ish.

Yes AJI is basically the Wembley Stadium of international television (i.e. promising great things but way behind schedule, mostly due to "technical difficulties" and issues between builder and owner!) but I can say with some certainty that AJI will be on the air in the near future.

There've been some more signings recently... ITV News correspondent Shiulie Ghosh is one of them (she'll be an anchor in Doha) and there should be at least one, if not two, more major signings. And quality, experienced signings at that.

In fact across the network there is some very good experience... Washington anchor Dave Marash is ex-ABC Nightline, ITV has lost Felicity Barr and Lauren Taylor to AJI, and the names Veronica Pedrosa, Lucia Newman, and Stephen Cole shouldn't need too much introduction.

Yes I sound like a classic PR machine, but now's the time to start ramping things up. Al Jazeera International is coming and it WILL be different! smile.gif

OFFLINE   Mark #16

• 16,411 posts since
  • July 2005
  • Location:all over the Hunter and Central Coast, and sometimes in Taree

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Al-Jazeera International, the much-vaunted Arab rival to CNN, has suffered yet another setback. After continual delays to its launch, the English-language news channel has now lost one of its top executives.

Paul Gibbs, the director of programmes, has resigned after differences of opinions with management. He announced his departure just as AJI is gearing up to go on air in late September.

A former editor of BBC Breakfast News, it was Mr Gibbs who oversaw the recruitment of high-profile names such as former BBC News correspondent Rageh Omaar for AJI flagship programme Witness, and Sir David Frost for the leading news discussion show.

Last week Mr Gibbs announced his departure after a series of conferences with al-Jazeera chiefs, including managing director Nigel Parsons - the former senior executive with Associated Press Television News and the BBC. He is understood to have had a different vision for the channel.

Al-Jazeera, which is bankrolled by the Emir of Qatar, is already the leading broadcaster in the Middle East. However, its planned international service has been beset by troubles. The service was due to launch in April but was delayed by construction and technical problems at its international bases in London, Doha, Kuala Lumpur and Washington. The launch had already been pushed back to June and is now mooted for the end of September.

AJI has also failed to secure a platform on the BBC's Freeview within the UK, but will be available on Sky's Freesat service and over the internet.

It is thought that Mr Gibbs will now cancel his slot at the Media Guardian Edinburgh International Television Festival (MEGITF) where he was to talk about his plans and ambitions for the channel in the global market.

Source

OFFLINE   IntlMedia #17

• 404 posts since
  • September 2004

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (MJH @ Aug 14 2006, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Al-Jazeera International, the much-vaunted Arab rival to CNN, has suffered yet another setback. After continual delays to its launch, the English-language news channel has now lost one of its top executives.

Paul Gibbs, the director of programmes, has resigned after differences of opinions with management. He announced his departure just as AJI is gearing up to go on air in late September.

A former editor of BBC Breakfast News, it was Mr Gibbs who oversaw the recruitment of high-profile names such as former BBC News correspondent Rageh Omaar for AJI flagship programme Witness, and Sir David Frost for the leading news discussion show.

Last week Mr Gibbs announced his departure after a series of conferences with al-Jazeera chiefs, including managing director Nigel Parsons - the former senior executive with Associated Press Television News and the BBC. He is understood to have had a different vision for the channel.

Al-Jazeera, which is bankrolled by the Emir of Qatar, is already the leading broadcaster in the Middle East. However, its planned international service has been beset by troubles. The service was due to launch in April but was delayed by construction and technical problems at its international bases in London, Doha, Kuala Lumpur and Washington. The launch had already been pushed back to June and is now mooted for the end of September.

AJI has also failed to secure a platform on the BBC's Freeview within the UK, but will be available on Sky's Freesat service and over the internet.

It is thought that Mr Gibbs will now cancel his slot at the Media Guardian Edinburgh International Television Festival (MEGITF) where he was to talk about his plans and ambitions for the channel in the global market.

Source

Yes a very ugly situation. One of the biggest issues was that Gibbs refused to move to AJI HQ in Doha, prefering to stay in London. Hard to run a stations entire programming schedule from one of its smaller broadcast centres.

Also very unsavoury treatment of Gibbs... taken off-site and left to hail a cab in 43 degree heat!

OFFLINE   K #18

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

Re: latest Spy News article.

Seems a bit odd that Foxtel will not take it as they have a promo loop on one of their transponders.

OFFLINE   Moe #19

• 8,402 posts since
  • August 2004

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

Would any of the other Pay-TV providers here carry it, Selectv for example?

OFFLINE   K #20

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (chicki @ Oct 3 2006, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Selectv for example?

Although there is a possibility they could, it's most likely not to happen as they have limited bandwidth and seem to prefer to get some entertainment/kids etc. channels (which is quite logical as they have 4 news and business channels already).