TV History

• Please log in to reply
7136 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   abesty #4581

• Media Vault Coordinator

• 8,384 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Agreed. To my knowledge, the only days that Today/Sunrise/National News Bulletins/etc go on holidays is Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day (and possibly NYE, not 100% sure on that one) Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I'm happy to be corrected (in a more relevant topic) though!

It's only Christmas Day that those shows don't air.

OFFLINE   Aurora #4582

• 2012 NRL Tipping Champion

• 5,980 posts since
  • February 2009

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Nine had NASCAR coverage?

Please note: any comments in posts made by myself are mine only and may apply only to the specific conditions and situations of the time of posting. Any opinions or comments expressed do not represent any organisation(s) which may have previously been or may currently be affiliated with myself in any way.

OFFLINE   TV Cynic #4583

• News Contributor

• 10,819 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Continuing the theme of happy birthday ABC here are some audio recordings of what I think were some great ABC idents from 1974. There were a whole series of "you're at home with ABC" clips used. Audio only as it was before VCRs.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #4584

• Forum Moderator

• 3,650 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Mike Hammond was initially teamed with a young Sandra Sully, then Joy Smithers on GMA in '92. The final hosts were Ron Wilson and Sandra Sully. I have a little of the final show with Ron and Sandra breaking down in tears and consoling each other as they acknowledged the people who had worked on the show over the years.

Here's that snippet of an emotional Ron and Sandra during the final breakfast show GMA in 1992.

Full credit to Media Spy's Fox1 who I believe originally captured this priceless moment. I don't usually upload material I haven't recorded myself so I hope he doesn't mind that I had this piece uploaded. If there's any objection I'm happy to remove it. Just thought it was a nice moment too good not to be shared.

OFFLINE   Matlock #4585

• News Contributor

• 6,117 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

What happened to TiVo? My sister had one for a few years until she threw it out earlier this year... Just wondering if its still being offered?

Edited by tmorgan96, 29 June 2012 - 11:28 AM.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #4586

• 6,495 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

It's Flashback Friday!

A special 15 Second Promo for National Nine News here in Sydney which aired during (or sometime after) the 1994 NSW Bushfires, one of several in the state during the 1990s and Early 2000s:

...and a "Please Give Generously" spot for The Lord Mayor's Bushfire Appeal from the same time:

Unfortunately, you're 18 years too late to donate, so don't bother calling up/writing to the address/etc in this promo.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #4587

• 6,495 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

What happened to TiVo? My sister had one for a few years until she threw it out earlier this year... Just wondering if its still being offered?

Do you mean the overpriced (IMO) PVR which was (not sure if it still is) owned by Seven? If so, I'm think it's still being sold, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, it's time for some more clips.

10 Second Bushfire Appeal Promo, (with a $100k donation from three womens magazines), Channel Nine Sydney Ident and Sponsor Tag from January 1994 (again!):

10 Second Bushfire Appeal Promo (with Woolies donating $50k and goods, presumably groceries), Channel Nine Sydney Ident and Sponsor Billboard from the same time and tape as the clip above:

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 29 June 2012 - 11:48 AM.

OFFLINE   Qarlo #4588

• 846 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

I've never been able to get my head around that ident. Big glassy things shooting out of Australia, then a hole in the centre of Australia which seems to go the whole way through the earth, then a glass building reflecting Sydney despite it being impossible that either the hole or the place where it emerges is Sydney.

It would have to be one of the most abstract and weirdest idents Australia has seen.

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #4589

• 6,495 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

I've never been able to get my head around that ident. Big glassy things shooting out of Australia, then a hole in the centre of Australia which seems to go the whole way through the earth, then a glass building reflecting Sydney despite it being impossible that either the hole or the place where it emerges is Sydney.

It would have to be one of the most abstract and weirdest idents Australia has seen.

I know that the ident looks completely unrealistic, but the CGI looks pretty flashy for the early-mid 1990s if I say so myself. I wouldn't be dissapointed if Nine did a modern re-make for their next graphics package.

OFFLINE   Matlock #4590

• News Contributor

• 6,117 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

I know that the ident looks completely unrealistic, but the CGI looks pretty flashy for the early-mid 1990s if I say so myself. I wouldn't be dissapointed if Nine did a modern re-make for their next graphics package.

Eww no I hope not. TBH I really liked Nine's 2009 package. 2D works so much better on Nine.

Btw, it appears Channel9's facebook page has copied your idea of Flashback Friday, SydneyCityTV.

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #4591

• Forum Administrator

• 11,319 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Eww no I hope not. TBH I really liked Nine's 2009 package. 2D works so much better on Nine.

Btw, it appears Channel9's facebook page has copied your idea of Flashback Friday, SydneyCityTV.

I think SCTV 'copied' the Flashback Friday idea from Nine's YouTube channel when they tried to start it as a thing a while ago but lost interest very quickly :)

OFFLINE   SydneyCityTV #4592

• 6,495 posts since
  • November 2011

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

I like both the 2D and 3D packages from Nine. IMO, Nine is the only network in the country that has had constantly good presentation throughout most of its history, apart from that horrible "warehouse" look in 2006 (and to a lesser extent, the cube look in '07) when it was rubbish of course!

I'd be interested to see what Nine are doing with their "Flashback Friday" thing on Facebook.

I think SCTV 'copied' the Flashback Friday idea from Nine's YouTube channel when they tried to start it as a thing a while ago but lost interest very quickly :)

Yes, that's exactly right. I 'borrowed' the idea from Nine's YouTube channel after they lost interest after one week. At least I've uploaded Flashback videos most Fridays since I started, and sometimes during the week. Not to mention I've covered all networks (or at least the commercial ones) unlike Nine. I hope everyone's enjoying my Flashback Friday clips because there will be more to come!

BTW: I'm loving your new and improved website TVAU, can't wait until it's complete! :)

Edited by SydneyCityTV, 29 June 2012 - 05:31 PM.

OFFLINE   bambbbam #4593

• 4,105 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Good Morning Melbourne 1988 (with special guest Bob Downe)

OFFLINE   TelevisionAU #4594

• Forum Administrator

• 11,319 posts since
  • November 2005

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

BTW: I'm loving your new and improved website TVAU, can't wait until it's complete! :)

thanks SCTV you're very kind

Good Morning Melbourne 1988 (with special guest Bob Downe)

Very funny. Still makes me laugh no matter how many times I've see it. Gina Riley is great as Coralee Hollow. This particular episode of GMM would have been almost at the end of its run. GMM finally came to an end in December 1988, replaced by the national 'Til Ten from Sydney the following year.

And those were the days when morning TV wasn't just about product placement and advertorials -- although I'm sure GMM was not immune to the occasional paid segment. I seem to recall they did have a travel segment that was probably just an ad for one of their travel agent sponsors.

OFFLINE   NewsWeary #4595

• Forum Moderator

• 3,650 posts since
  • October 2009

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

I recall Good Morning Sydney being heavily sponsored by David Jones and the DJ's offshoot Traveland. The host, Maureen Duval, fronted DJ's ads back in the day and I think the show's theme music was the same music that was used in the ads.

OFFLINE   Matlock #4596

• News Contributor

• 6,117 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Widescreen QTQ National Nine News Saturday 2004 w/ Signpost.

OFFLINE   BJT #4597

• 3,619 posts since
  • February 2008

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

The Projects first Episode know as the (7pm Project) now 3 years old.

Edited by BJT, 01 July 2012 - 02:57 PM.

OFFLINE   ThisIsIt #4598

• 1,800 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

A poke at the early 80's promos - complete with jingles:

OFFLINE   Qarlo #4599

• 846 posts since
  • October 2010

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

In my opinion one of the best looking, if not the best looking, idents from Nine. From 1988:

Edited by does not exist, 01 July 2012 - 05:23 PM.

OFFLINE   ThisIsIt #4600

• 1,800 posts since
  • December 2011

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

That's the definitive Nine ident IMO. I think there's also a movies and special event version too..