Sky News

• Please log in to reply
8364 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   Matlock #7321

• News Contributor

• 6,173 posts since
  • September 2011

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

I agree with everyone above. Sky News is just so god-damn awful to watch. Horrendous full-screen graphics, a revolting ticker, less than a byte of bandwidth allocated to it... Hope someone wakes up and relaunches the thing.

OFFLINE   tbop #7322

• 1,946 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ash Gillon just tweeted -

Preparing for what we believe will be the first regular national news bulletin hosted from Perth. New look Newsday from 9amWST @SkyNewsAust

OFFLINE   On Air #7323

• the bost mod here

• 6,004 posts since
  • February 2005

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sky don't seem to know how to do things 'right'...no press release about these changes, or anything on their website.

Schedule doesn't reflect any changes...and the host profiles are out of date. Apparently the long dead Five Live is hosted by Sharon McKenzie.

OFFLINE   tbop #7324

• 1,946 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wonder why they are doing this?

Maybe finally going to update the main studio set?

OFFLINE   kevizz #7325

• 4,833 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

I wonder as well, tbop. We've seen the Perth set already and it is ridiculously tiny, really not suitable for a national broadcast (No offence intended Ahron). Really don't see the value in doing it, unless they are making changes in Sydney - though I suspect pigs will fly first.

Edited by kevizz, 29 January 2012 - 09:11 PM.

OFFLINE   Timothy #7326

• 985 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

The Perth set is okay for an interview or something like that, but not for a national bulletin. I just don't see the advantage of doing a bulletin from Perth - they have a tiny set, backed up by almost no news gathering resources.

OFFLINE   SA TV #7327

• 8,329 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Both cable & satellite subscribers of Foxtel get ABC News 24.

No, it doesn't come through on Foxtel satellite, only ABC1, ABC2 and ABC3

OFFLINE   Smacca #7328

• Forum Moderator

• 3,274 posts since
  • September 2005

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

No, it doesn't come through on Foxtel satellite, only ABC1, ABC2 and ABC3

Yes it does. It's the NSW feed (with 'AEDT' under the clock) and is available to all satellite subscribers in all states using an iQ2.

OFFLINE   tbop #7329

• 1,946 posts since
  • March 2011

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I asked Ash why and she said -

Well there's so much going on here and Sky wants part of the action! I moved back to Perth at the end of last year.

Hmmm. . .

OFFLINE   Timothy #7330

• 985 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yes it does. It's the NSW feed (with 'AEDT' under the clock) and is available to all satellite subscribers in all states using an iQ2.

Exactly, only available to those who pay extra for HD. That's right, Foxtel makes you pay extra to get channels that can be freely received by almost all digital TV equipment on sale in the country.

It is particularly ridiculous with News 24 as it consists entirely of SD content and is only broadcast on an HD channel, because the government requires the ABC to have one.

OFFLINE   SA TV #7331

• 8,329 posts since
  • October 2002

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ahhh I see, we don't have FOXTEL HD (I'm not paying to watch 20 year old eps of The Simpsons in HD)

OFFLINE   unrivalledcoverage #7332

• 972 posts since
  • January 2012

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Any changes before NewsDay starts?

OFFLINE   abesty #7333

• Media Vault Coordinator

• 8,508 posts since
  • May 2008

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

The New Newsday program started with Ashleigh Gillion introducing the program, then a cross to Jacinta Tynan in the Sky News studio for news headlines, then back to Perth.

OFFLINE   kevizz #7334

• 4,833 posts since
  • July 2010

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

My God, what have they done to News Day?

1. Having the News Day logo sitting on top of the headlines graphic is just ugly and stupid. Clear as day, how anyone could think it was a good idea is beyond me.

2. The Perth aspect is completely unnecessary and incredibly poorly integrated into the show. I understand the technical limitations, but with such restrictions they really shouldn't have bothered. Perth is really relegated to being a story or live interview played from the Sydney newsroom. Having headlines, business, sport and live crosses all being conducted from Sydney is a very awkward balance that makes for uncomfortable viewing.

3. The whole Perth operation seems terrible. The image quality and colour is very poor, which I suppose is the result of a cheap camera. The presenter is well below the centre of the shot (possibly due to the plasma being too small), which stands out like a sore thumb when interviewing a properly framed person.

4. If I hadn't read they were in Perth I wouldn't have known. Most crosses Jacinta has done have not mentioned they fact they're in Perth at all, and there's nothing in the plasma to indicate that they are. The presenter even read out the AEST time at the top of the hour! The only impact this seems to be having on content is a wasted 5 seconds every time they throw to and from each other.

One big, ugly mess. So glad we have ABC News 24.

Edited by kevizz, 30 January 2012 - 02:27 PM.

OFFLINE   cmo #7335

• 6,098 posts since
  • March 2007

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

So if I understand this correctly...They are broadcasting a show from Perth only to cross back to Sydney continuously throughout the show. Whats the point?

OFFLINE   antzzz #7336

• 2,091 posts since
  • December 2003

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

This new Sky News from Perth really sucks... Ash is great... But the whole blue screen thing and her presenting the news presenter and doing crosses just comes off dodgy...

They need a nice BIG new spacious set (like what Sunrise or Today have, or SKY UK), she can present - cross to a news presenter (not that its even required, they're just wasting wages and resources), cross to the Weather Channel, cross to Sky News Business, do interviews etc etc etc... This is just craptastic!
Do you like Australian grown grapes?
If so, how would you rather purchase fresh grapes from a supermarket? Vote Now!

OFFLINE   Timothy #7337

• 985 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

SKY News is committed to covering the country coast to coast, announcing the opening of its first Darwin bureau in conjunction with NITV (National Indigenous Television). SKY News Northern Territory correspondent, Daniel Bourchier, is an experienced top end reporter.

Why is NITV getting further into bed with Sky when it is supposed to be merging with SBS?

OFFLINE   PD. #7338

• 5 posts since
  • January 2008

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

It seems the Perth hosted rolling news is just for bragging rights, as such. "We're not Sydney-centric...". Like others, I'm scratching my head wondering what the point is if it is all playing out as normal Sky News productions. Does anyone have any video from today or yesterday?

OFFLINE   Timothy #7339

• 985 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

OFFLINE   Timothy #7340

• 985 posts since
  • June 2010

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yuck. What were they thinking?

Keyed set, constant crosses between different presenters, ugly opening graphics .... I could go on.