The Apple Notebook thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
203 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   K #1

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

It's a bit late, but Apple has released new Macbook Pro's that have the Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Now there is a division between the Macbook and Macbook Pro's that is quite clread. Before it was mainly the screen size and Intel intergated graphics on the Macbook that was noticable.

OFFLINE   Mike #2

• 18,539 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

Ummm Weren't they released months ago before the Macbook? Unless they released a new version this is VERY old news.

Edited by Mike Beckham, 26 October 2006 - 03:38 PM.

OFFLINE   Mike #3

• 18,539 posts since
  • January 2006

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Mike Beckham @ Oct 26 2006, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ummm Weren't they released months ago before the Macbook? Unless they released a new version this is VERY old news.

I stand corrected. embarrassed.gif

Apple on Tuesday said all of its MacBook Pro notebooks will now feature Intel Core 2 Duo dual-core processors.

The upgraded MacBook Pros perform up to 39 percent faster and include twice as much memory and more storage capacity than previous models, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company said. The new units also have a FireWire 800 port for connecting to high-speed peripherals.

A $1,999 model comes with a 15.4-inch widescreen display, a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 1 Gbyte of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, (expandable to 3 Gbytes), a 120-Gbyte Serial ATA hard drive and a slot-load 6x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R, DL/DVDRW/CD-RW). Another 15-inch model, priced at $2,499, includes the same features but has a 2.33GHz processor and 2 Gbytes of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

http://www.crn.com/s...cleId=193401864

OFFLINE   Woz #4

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Yeah about this Core 2 thing....what the bluck?

Why did they even bother releasing Core when Core 2 showed up like three months later!?

Damn Intel makes my head spin.
IPB Image

OFFLINE   K #5

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

Core 2 Duo is just the 64-bit version of the Core Duo range.

OFFLINE   Squee! #6

• Forum Moderator

• 11,114 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

Apple have done well with the switch to Intel. It makes there product range a lot more appealing then before, and the built in ability to dual boot with a Windows Distribution makes it a lot more appealing to people like me who like to play the occasional game.

These Notebooks look great.. will probably considering getting one of these next year, because my computer is getting a bit long in the tooth and I much prefer the design, features, OS and speedy dual core processors in comparison to plain old windows notebooks.

OFFLINE   K #7

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

One thing that I have found (not with the Macbook Pro's, but with one of the Core Duo Mac mini's) is that it loads up nice and fast on Mac OS X, while a fresh install of Windows MCE takes ages.

I'm planning to get an iMac later this year/early next year as I prefer them for video editing.

OFFLINE   K #8

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

And now they have released Core 2 Duo Macbooks. About time.

OFFLINE   Squee! #9

• Forum Moderator

• 11,114 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (kenneth @ Nov 9 2006, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now they have released Core 2 Duo Macbooks. About time.

Earlier then most of the PC OEMs, who are very slowly releasing them to that price point and generally leave the ones about 2Ghz to the very expensive notebooks...

Edited by Boochan, 10 November 2006 - 12:17 AM.

OFFLINE   Woz #10

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

Okay, need some advice....

I want a MacBook Pro. Yes, I know, shock, horror, the sky is falling, Woz wants a Mac, we're all going to die. But moving on from there I've been spending a bit of time with OS X lately and it's just easier than Vista. Combine that with the slickest notebook design out there.....

Anyway, I worked out that with my nice Uni student discount I can pick up the 15.4" 2.16Ghz with 160GB Hardrive upgrade and 1GB RAM (can up that later when I have a bit more cash) for $2,995.70.

However, I have a bit of a concern. Leopard.

It's now pushed back to October, which I'll admit isn't that far away, but I am looking to possibly purchase sooner than that. Really I want to know whether its worth waiting for, or whether I should just go with Tiger. Spaces and Time Machine do look handy, but at the same time I'm not sure how much I'd use them and whether I'd use any of the other new features at all. Can anyone tell me if it will be worth the wait? I remember vaguely when Tiger was on the way that places were offering free upgrades when it came out if they purchased a Panther based Mac, but so far no evidence of that for this release.

Also, if anyone here has an MBP and wants to offer some feedback or advice on it, it would be much appreciated.

Ta! smile.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   K #11

• 3,461 posts since
  • December 2004

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

If you buy a notebook around the time Leopard comes out, you might get a free upgrade.

Saying that though, I brought my iMac at the start of the year (after of course seeing if the MacWorld:SF event had anything relevant), and (although some features of Leopard may be cool) still like Tiger.

Note that Tiger has had enough software updates etc. to make it quite good (I have been using it since 10.4.4 or so came out on my iBook).

In a way, there is the excitement of getting the new OS brand new, but I preferred getting Tiger after it was out for a while.

----

Note that there is a battery issue with the MB's and the MBP's. Apple will replace batteries for free though if you notice battery performance issues. See http://email.news.co...d85uo~pq_rDt9lR

Also, the notebooks can get quite hot (they are not really laptops anymore. Even my iBook can get a bit warm (but it doesn't have metal that can get really hot)).

OFFLINE   Woz #12

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hmmm....

As it turns out I probably won't have the money till at least late July (well, I HAVE the money, it's just kinda tied up atm). Also gonna have to see what I can get for my current laptop (I'm thinking max $500, which is just crazy since I bought it for $2800 only a bit over a year ago!! crazy.gif )
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Squee! #13

• Forum Moderator

• 11,114 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Woz @ Apr 30 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also gonna have to see what I can get for my current laptop (I'm thinking max $500, which is just crazy since I bought it for $2800 only a bit over a year ago!! crazy.gif )

Only 2yrs ago before laptops began their price crash they generally held there value very well..
I remember selling a Toshiba Protege Pentium 200Mhz for about $350 in Early 2004.. probably wouldn't be worth $50 today!
Nontheless, back on topic it looks like ill be going for a 24" iMac rather than a 15" Macbook Pro after reassessing my needs silly.gif

OFFLINE   Woz #14

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Boochan @ Apr 30 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nontheless, back on topic it looks like ill be going for a 24" iMac rather than a 15" Macbook Pro after reassessing my needs silly.gif
Yeah see I'm not big on the iMacs. Got one sitting around that doesn't work, although that's thanks in large part to it being a first gen G3 model that I found on the side of the road biggrin.gif .

If I was going a Mac desktop it would be a Mac Pro. 2 x Quad Core 3Ghz Xeon, 16GB RAM, 3TB Hard Drive Space, Radeon X1900, 2xSuperdrive, 2x30" LCD...

Only $23,000! silly.gif
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Squee! #15

• Forum Moderator

• 11,114 posts since
  • December 2005

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Woz @ May 1 2007, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah see I'm not big on the iMacs. Got one sitting around that doesn't work, although that's thanks in large part to it being a first gen G3 model that I found on the side of the road biggrin.gif .

The only computer that isnt an ancient PC I've found on the side of a road is an ancient Commdore 128D.. it worked silly.gif
Nontheless, I've had a play with the new iMacs and I like them, and if I am really going to need portability then I'll just have to buy an entry level MacBook, even though the integrated graphics turn me off so much.
QUOTE (Woz @ May 1 2007, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was going a Mac desktop it would be a Mac Pro. 2 x Quad Core 3Ghz Xeon, 16GB RAM, 3TB Hard Drive Space, Radeon X1900, 2xSuperdrive, 2x30" LCD...

Only $23,000! silly.gif

Droolworthy...

OFFLINE   Woz #16

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Boochan @ May 1 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only computer that isnt an ancient PC I've found on the side of a road is an ancient Commdore 128D.. it worked silly.gif
The iMac like turns on, it's just that it won't boot. I think it needs a fresh install of OS9, which I don't have, nor do I have any intention of getting it. A baseball bat I shall put through it soon.....

QUOTE (Boochan @ May 1 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nontheless, I've had a play with the new iMacs and I like them, and if I am really going to need portability then I'll just have to buy an entry level MacBook, even though the integrated graphics turn me off so much.
The graphics is what would make me never ever get a MacBook. Final Cut Studio 2 specs say it can't run on integrated graphics hardware. The 128MB chip in the 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro is also a bit of a putoff, but I just can't justify paying the extra to get the 256MB version in the 2.33 model.

Although, then again, maybe I'll have more money come Leopard time. That could be another reason to wait.....
IPB Image

OFFLINE   Woz #17

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

MacBooks have been updated. Base speed is now 2Ghz, with 2.1Ghz being an option. RAM has been doubled as well, and hard drive made bigger. Superdrive has also been sped up from 6x to 8x for DVD burning.

Word is that a new MacBook Pro will be launched at WWDC with an LED backlit display, 2.2Ghz and 2.4Ghz C2Ds, and Santa Rosa chipset with 800Mhz FSB. Hopefully the 15" will also see the Superdrive sped up a bit! New graphics chip would be nice too.

Good thing I didn't go out and buy one two weeks ago!!! laugh.gif

With a feature-complete Leopard set to be unvieled, and now the talk of the new MBP also being announced, the WWDC Stevenote is something I am very much looking forward to. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

[Guest] timmy #18

• --

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

have a macbook and it never gets hot, ive customized mine heaps and it runs final cut studio 2 and aperture fine as well as all the macromedia programs. i love it!

OFFLINE   Woz #19

• 4,966 posts since
  • May 2005

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (timmy @ May 16 2007, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have a macbook and it never gets hot, ive customized mine heaps and it runs final cut studio 2 and aperture fine as well as all the macromedia programs. i love it!
Yeah, they're not bad, but at the same time I can afford a Pro so it's a path I'd much rather go down.
IPB Image

[Guest] timmy #20

• --

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

yeh if you can get a pro, the reason i didn't get one was b.cos i thought there were ugly and my macbook (white) is equivalent to a mac book pro now anyway, except for screen size and colour smile.gif