The Ten Network has placed its support behind The 7PM Project, commissioning the nightly series for another full year, The Daily Telegraph reports.
Despite the show's initial poor performance, the light-relief news show has seen a recent healthy resurgence in the ratings.
Ten declined to officially confirm the news, but the newspaper was told the decision was final and that production company Roving Enterprises would be advised.
The network's director of programming, David Mott, said they were extremely pleased with the present success of the show.
"I'm so proud of this show after we took a huge risk and everyone wrote it off at the beginning.
"But we tweaked it, gave it a more newsy edge and Charlie's old look was a victim of that process. The old look wasn't right and the new one is. We're very, very happy at how Project is coming along," he added.
Network insiders suggested that the team's recent image and wardrobe overhauls have also contributed to the improvement. Presenters Carrie Bickmore, Dave Hughes and Charlie Pickering were all given 'straight-overs' so they represented newsreaders.
As previously reported in TSR, the program earlier this week managed to break the one million viewer mark for the first time in 2010. It again surpassed the same barrier on Thursday, when it secured a national win in the timeslot against its rivals.
According to preliminary overnight OzTAM data in the main metropolitan markets, The 7PM Project was seen by 1,098,000 viewers. This was compared to regular timeslot leaders, the ABC's news bulletin (1,058,000), the Nine Network's Two and a Half Men (980,000) and the Seven Network's Home and Away (952,000).
Media Spy discussion: The 7pm Project