The Ten Network said on Wednesday that The Renovators and 6.30 with George Negus would both return in 2012, despite persistently poor audience figures since their respective launches this year.
In a move that is likely to raise eyebrows among more than a handful of observers, Ten indicated upon unveiling its 2012 slate of programmes that it would be sticking by both programmes. The Renovators will be reworked in an effort to improve on the dismal performances it has recorded since premiering last month.
"So far the format has underperformed. But, it's a brand we believe in so we are working directly with [the production company] Shine to renovate The Renovators for 2011 and beyond," said David Mott, the network's chief programming officer.
Despite Ten's attempt to stoke viewer interest by sandwiching the programme within the finale of MasterChef Australia two weeks ago, audiences for the renovation series have continued to plummet. Ratings have remained at or below the 700,000 viewer mark, and last Friday's instalment hit an embarrassing low of 405,000.
Speculation that George Negus would be dumped at the end of the year has been extinguished by the network's confirmation that both the show and the host would be returning in 2012. Ratings for the current affairs programme quickly fell after it launched in the 6:00pm timeslot earlier this year, and the subsequent move to 6:30pm has failed to lead to a substantial increase in viewership.
Also in The Spy Report: Ten announces 2012 line-up
Have your say: join the forum discussion or submit a comment below.